When a wish comes true, it creates strength, hope and transformation in a child – and a community.
Impact on Quality of Life
When children are living with critical illness, so much of normal childhood is taken away from them — it is exhausting, both emotionally and physically. A wish is something that gives children the opportunity to look outside their illness — it restores a sense of childhood back to the child and normalcy back to the family.
Research shows, and physicians agree, wishes can help improve a child’s quality of life and produce better health outcomes. Members of the Make-A-Wish Medical Advisory Committee share the life-changing impact wishes have — beyond just medicine — on their patients and their families.
Impact in Numbers
MORE THAN 520,000 WISHES GRANTED WORLDWIDE SINCE 1980.
97% OF WISH PARENTS REPORT AN IMPROVEMENT OF THE WISH CHILD’S EMOTIONAL HEALTH.
40 INTERNATIONAL AFFILIATES GRANT WISHES FOR CHILDREN IN 50 COUNTRIES, ON 6 CONTINENTS.
Just a Few Facts
- Wishes lead to increased joy and happiness for wish children, parents, and siblings.
- Wish families described increased resilience and self-reliance during the wish journey.
- Wishes create room for new hope, and motivation to achieve goals.
- Wishes provide a welcome distraction from the child’s illness and treatment.
- Wishes facilitate a sense of family togetherness and normalcy.